Formulating our products is one of my greatest joys. The scientist in me loves to ask questions and explore how to combine bioactive plant extracts with other natural and organic ingredients. I like to think that by creating products that leave the skin feeling fresh, nourished and alive, I can contribute to the health and well being of myself and others. When I’m in the kitchen formulating, I keep four key benefits in mind: moisture, circulation, calming and inflammation.
These four pillars, as I like to refer to them, have shaped our line of products and continue to influence everything I do. I wanted to let you in on the process and share a bit of information. Hopefully it is helpful and that you will enjoy discovering along with me.
Skin being the largest organ of the human body, is our first layer of protection from things in our environment like UV radiation, heat, cold and dryness. It functions best when it is well moisturized, not stressed. So, to naturally attract moisture to the skin, we formulate with ingredients that have humectant qualities. Moisture on the skin allows it to nourish itself, keeping stress low and cellular turn over high. Thankfully, it also adds a youthful glow and natural beauty we all hope for.
If your skin feels dry, tight, dull, rough, itchy or red, you may be lacking moisture. Here's an idea for you to try!
MORNING MOISTURIZING ROUTINE
- Begin with just 2-3 pumps of our Foaming Face Wash. Let it foam up before splashing with warm water.
- Lightly mist face with Lavender Hydrosol.
- Let rest for thirty seconds.
- Gently apply a small amount of Botanical Face Cream on the forehead, cheeks and throat. Press and pat to evenly distribute.
- Drink a full glass of water.
We believe oxygen is the great healer in the body and that it is the secret to healthy skin, muscles and joints. Without excellent circulation, our body cannot heal itself. It can not even properly address the normal day to day stress that it experiences. A lack of oxygen may even lead to issues with inflammation and pain and skin conditions such as eczema, psoriasis and acne.
Our bioactive products are specifically formulated to have a positive impact on the skin and to encourage circulation. Circulation is key to the normal exchange of carbon dioxide and oxygen in the body, and feeds the body with much needed oxygen.
To improve oxygen flow, glow and skin tone, try the following circulation routine.
MORNING CIRCULATION ROUTINE:
- The night prior, make a strong rosemary tea. Bring 5 cups of water to a boil, add four fresh sprigs (or 3 tablespoons dried) rosemary and steep overnight.
- In the morning, re-warm tea to a comfortable temperature. Pour into a large container and soak hands and/or feet.
Has your skin ever felt overly sensitive? Maybe it was undergoing some mild irritation from too much sun, not enough fluid intake or even a new laundry detergent you are using. Our skin is exposed to a variety of internal and external challenges every day. The body will sometimes respond to this by over reacting, a kind of sending in the troops or second line of defense to tackle the "enemy."
We are fortunate to have such a stellar system to keep things in balance. But when subtle irritation, environmental factors, pollens and stress lead to discomfort, we want to reach for something calming. Suzi’s products are calming, with a blend of cucumber, aloe vera, calendula, chamomile, comfrey root and organic lavender to address the skin’s overreaction to our environment and to stress.
To calm the body and mind, try the following calming routine.
CALMING EVENING ROUTINE:
- Put your cell phone on silent, place it in another room or shut it off completely.
- Make a cup of your favorite drink, like a comforting tea.
- Find a good book or article you’ve been meaning to read.
- Spray Lavender Fresh Air around your bedroom and on your pillow before turning in. Having bed time rituals is good for the mind and body.
Inflammation in the body can be a huge challenge, and is a leading cause of pain & disease. Most of it in unseen, inside the cells in our body. It can be hard to manage because the process can become a feedback loop that gets worse no matter what you do. To break the chronic cycle, we can develop daily routines that become preventative measures. Suzi’s products soothe inflammation in the skin, and may help with pain in the muscles and joints.
To reduce inflammation, try the following.
- Each morning, squeeze an inch-wide slice of lemon into a glass or mug, and fill with hot water. I like to add a touch of ground cardamom but you can add one of your favorite spices!
- Experiment with reducing your sugar consumption. Maybe try a sugar-free day, week or month. The benefit to hot lemon water in the morning is that it can help curb cravings for the rest of the day.
- Begin and end your day with some kind of movement! Take a walk, bike, work out, or practice qi-gong or yoga. Stimulating circulation in your body creates strong, lean muscles and will help you sleep better.
- Try to avoid foods that cause inflammation. (sugar, high fructose corn syrup, artificial trans fats, vegetable and seed oils, refined carbohydrates, excess alcohol, and processed meat, are top of the list).
I hope you had fun reading and have learned a few things about the importance of using products on your skin that help with moisture, circulation, calming & inflammation.
I regularly ask myself if I a feeling Healthy, Happy and Aligned. Am I feeling balanced? Am I peaceful? Did I follow my skin care routine today? If you have any questions or want help knowing where to begin to address these issues for yourself, feel free to reach out. I’m here for you and want to support you in your journey to healthy, vibrant skin and a balanced life.